Tourism
 

Jalandhar is believed to have emerged out of the sea. This legendary origin of Jalandhar is confirmed by some geologists who believe that once upon a time the sea stretched up to Jalandhar Doab and the neighbouring Shiwaliks of Hoshiarpur. According to the Padma Purana, the City takes its name from the great "Daitya" King , Jalandhra, the son of the Ocean.

The earliest historical mention of Jalandhar occurs in the reign of Kanishka, when about A.D. 100 a council of Buddhist Theologions met near Jalandhar chiefly for the purpose of collecting manuscripts and preparing commentaries on them.

Jalandhar gave rise to the Nath Movement between the eighth and tenth century A.D. At the site where the samadh of one of the foremost representatives of the movements Jogi Jalandhar Nath once stood, was built the exiting shrine of Imam Nasir-ud-din Chishti in the fifteenth century.

Jalandhar was when visited by Hiuen Tsang the capital of a considerable State ruled over by Katoch chiefs, the town itself being more than three kilometers in circuit, It was taken by Ibrahim Sah of Ghor, in A.D., 1179-80 and was a place of considerable importance in the struggle between Jasrath Khokar and the Muhammedan governors in 1422-42.

Under the Mughal Emperors, Jalandhar was always the capital of the northern and most important portion of the Jalandhar Doab which then extended to the neighbourhood of Multan, in fact of the whole of the Doab, as it is now constituted. The last Mohammedan governor was Adina Beg, whose intrigues with the Sikhs and Marathas have already been noticed. Governer Adina Beg died in 1758, having in the previous year allowed Guru Badbhag Singh of Kartarpur, to burn Jalandhar in revenge for the destruction of Katarpur by Ahmad Shah Abdali in 1756.

In A.D. 1766 Jalandhar fell into the hands of the Sikh Misal of the Faizullapuria, then under Khushal Singh. His son Budh Singh, who succeeded him as head of the Misl, built a masonry fort in the city, the site of which is now occupied by the Killa Mohalla while several of the other leaders built forts of unburnt bricks. In 1811, Diwan Mohkam Chand was sent by Maharaja Ranjit Singh to annex the Faizullapuria possession in the Jalandhar Doab and Sardar Budh singh fled to his protected possession across the Satluj. His troops put some resistance, but gave up in Jalandhar in October. From this time , it was the capital of the possessions of the Lahore State in the Jalandhur Doab until annexation to the British dominions after the First Anglo Sikh War ,1845-46. It then became the headquarters of the Commissionership of the Trans-Satluj States, afterwards known as the Commissionership of Jalandhur.

Imam NasirJalandhar boasts of many historic monuments. Prominent among them are the mausoleum of Imam Nasir, the fort at Phillaur which once served as Maharaja Ranjit Singh's line of defence against the British, a Shiv Mandir which dates back to the Lodhi era, Devi Talab Mandir, Tombs at Nakodar, Sarai at Nurmahal, Gurudwara at Kartarpur etc.





Devi Talab Mandir

Devi Talab MandirIt is situated in the heart of Jalandhar City. The old Devi Talab has been renovated and, in its centre, a new temple has been built. Recently a model of Amarnath Yatra has been built in the premises. Devi Talab MandirAn old temple of goddess Kali also stands by the side of the Devi Talab.









Tulsi Mandir

An ancient monument in the City is the temple of Vrinda, wife of Jalandhara, in the Kot Kishan Chand locality. It is now also known as Tulsi Mandir. On one side of the temple is a tank which is said to have been the bathing place of the demon Jalandhara.

At some distance is the temple of Gupha, with the image of Annapurna, the goddess of plenty, installed in it. Also nearby lies the Brahm Kund and some temples dedicated to Shiva.

Near the Balmiki gate is the Sheetla Mandir, said to be as old as the City of Jalandhar. Within its premises are also two small old temples of Hanuman and Shiva.

Shiv Mandir

Situated at Gur Mandi, Shiv Mandir is reputed to have been built by a Nawab of Sultanpur Lodhi near Masjid Imam Nasar.

Gurdwara Chhevin Padshahi

Gurudwara Chhevin PadshahiGuru Hargobind visited the city of Jalandhar during his tour of Doaba area. Gurdwara Chhevin Padshahi in Basti Shaikh, Jalandhar city, stands on the spot where Guruji granted interview to a Muslim holy saint popularly known as Shaikh Darvesh. The saint blindfolded his eyes so that he could swear before the Mughal authorities that he had not seen the Guru. The great Guru had in depth discussion with the Shaikh Darvesh about spiritual matters which created good impact on the holy man.

Shaheed-E-Azam Sardar Bhagat Singh Museum, Khatkar Kalan

A museum at Khatkal Kalan, the native village of the great Martyr Sardar Bhagat Singh, was inaugurated on his 50th death anniversary. It was earlier in Jalandhar district, now became part of Nawanshahr district. To pay homage to the great revolutionary martyrs of the Punjab, who laid down their lives for the liberation of their motherland, all their memorable belongings are displayed here. The half burnt ashes of Sardar Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev including the blood soaked sand and blood stained newspaper in which their ashes were wrapped are preserved and exhibited in the museum. One page of the Lahore Conspirace Case’s Judgement through which martyr Kartar Singh Sarabha was sentenced to death and on which Sardar Bhagat Singh put some notes is also exhibited in the museum. A copy of holy Gita having S. Bhagat Singh’s signatures which was handed over to him in Lahore Jail, and his other personal belongings are displayed here. The painting of the revolutionaries and Gadrites who inspired S. Bhagat Singh to jump into the freedom struggle are also displayed in the museum. A big bronze statue in the memory of the great martyr installed in front of the museum remind us of his great deeds.

A few other places worth mentioning are a Sanyas Ashram (popularly known as Bahrian-da-Talab) on the Kapurthala road. Nathan-Di Bagichi, Darbar Muhammad Jamal Zahra (in Basti Sheikh), Baba Jhandianala (in Basti Nau), shrines of Baba Lakki Shah Pir and Dargah Pir Hazi Shah Qutab situated in the Jalandhar Cantonment.

Jalandhar has been in the thick of the fight for freedom from the British Raj and has produced many patriots. A Desh-Bhagat Memorial Hall has been constructed here to perpetuate the memory of such martyrs.

Outside the Nakodar town, there are two fine Muhammedan tombs situated close together. These are maintained as protected monuments by the Archaeological Departments. One of these tombs was built in A.D.1612 in the beginning of the reign of Jahangir(A..D.1605-1627 A.D.) and the other in 1657 A.D towards the close of the reign of Shah Jahan (1627-1658 A.D.)

The Gurudwara at Kartarpur (16 km from Jalandhar town) was built by the Fifth Sikh Guru, Guru Arjun Devji in 1656 A.D. Every year, a fair is held on the birth anniversary of the Guru when a large number of devotees gather to pay homage. Kartarpur is also known as the birth place of Swami Virjanand who was the teacher of Swami Dayanand Saraswati, the illustrious founder of the Arya Samaj. A memorial (Guru Virjanand Smarak) has been constructed here in his memory.

St Mary’s Cathedral Church( Jalandhar Cantt)

St Mary’s Cathedral ChurchThe old church dedicated to St. Patrick was built by Rev. Fr. John Macodnnel, Q.F.M.CAP of the Vicariate Apostolic of Agra, in 1947 at the same site of new church since 1886. It was looked after by various chaplains appointed to Jalandhar from the Diocese of Lahore. After the partition in 1955, the Catholic Mission of the Indian Punjab was raised to the status of Apostolic Prefecture with its headquarter at Jalandhar and the church at Jalandhar Cantonment became the Cathedral or the Mother Church of Punjab. The demolition of the old church was started on 15th February, 1987. The foundation stone for the new church was blessed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II in February, 1986 and laid by His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Symbhorian Keeprath Bishop of Jalandhar Diocese on 19th April, 1987. The roofing of the basement, the balcony and the main church were done on 19th September, 19th November and 19th December, 1987 respectively. The church was designed in such a way as to highlight the secular character of our motherland. Te new church was blessed by His grace Archbishop Jose Sanchez, the special delegate of Pope John Paul II from Rome and inaugurated by His Grace Archbishop Agostino Cacciavillan, the Vatican Ambassador and the Apostolic pronounced to India on 29th October, 1989, the day of the National Festival of Light, Diwali. On this occasion Archbishops and Bishops representing different regions of India were also present.

A few other places worth mentioning are a Sanyas Ashram (popularly known as Bahrian-da-Talab) on the Kapurthala road. Nathan-Di Bagichi, Darbar Muhammad Jamal Zahra (in Basti Sheikh), Baba Jhandianala (in Basti Nau), shrines of Baba Lakki Shah Pir and Dargah Pir Hazi Shah Qutab situated in the Jalandhar Cantonment.

Pushpa Gujral Science City

Pushpa Gujral Science CityScience City is being built with its aim of learning, fun & amusement out of Science for people of all ages & all walks of life. It will arouse creativity in young minds, help in building a scientific temper in the state. The project will be dynamic in its concept, as to adapt to the rapidly developing modern technology to the main objective of this project are:

  1. To create awareness of science in the community
  2. To develop an interactive learning center through a playful approach.
  3. To present the marvels of science & technology for public appreciation and understanding.
  4. To install state of-the-Art gadgets and exhibits to support presentation.
  5. To supplement Formal Education at grass root level.
  6. To instill a spirit of Enquiry in the young minds.

The Science City is being developed in 71 Acres of land which has been provided free cost by the State Govt. Beside the land, the Jalandhar-Kapurthala Road is being has been widened to 44 ft. from the existing 20' width. To provide required power supply, a 132/11KV-power sub-station has been constructed by PSEB by spending an amount of Rs.2.62 crores granted by the State Govt.

The Government of India is committed to provide Rs.70 Crores for his project, out of which, an amount of Rs.27 crores has already been provided and the construction work is going on at full swing.

Participatory Exhibits of Science Wing

For popularization of Science Wing of the Council, a list of initial 20 exhibits mentioned below have been finalized. These have been cleared from the experimental stage and are now being fabricated in the Council. These exhibits would be housed in cabins made of Aluminum Panels

S.No. Exhibit’s name Concept developed
1. A Big Sphere Mirror reflection at inclined plane
2. Look into Infinity Reflection in parallel mirrors
3. Illuminate the Tunnel Reflection in parallel mirrors
4. Half Me Half You Reflection & refraction
5. Slim & Trim Reflection in concave mirror
6. Fatty & Bulky Reflection in convex mirror
7. Rotate your Face Reflection in concave mirror
8. Lattice Structure FCC, BCC & Simple Cubic structure
9. Stereo Hearing Direction of sound & delay in hearing
10. Mirror Room Infinite no. of Images in all direction
11. Image Formula No. of Images vs. angle between mirrors
12. Serving Head Illusion through vanishing body
13. Blow the Soap Film Surface Tension & Colours in thin films
14. Transfer of Momentum Momentum & Kinetic Energy
15. Eye-An Aperture Eye acts as an aperture of a camera
16. Vanishing Ball Illusion of creating a ball in space
17. Touch Hot Filament Illusion of touching hot filament of a bulb
18. Primary Colours Primary colours & Mixture of colours
19. Water from Where Creating an unknown source of Water
20. Playing Carom Ellipse has two foci